The scope is to create a forum for those in Europe interested in the creation of a new computing technology based on the use of a single molecule what is called mono-molecular electronics. Embedding a large logic function inside a single molecule requires the creation of news technologies first at the lab scale and then at the production scale.
The following topics will be covered:
- Atomic scale technology (picotechnology) for a planar interconnection of a single molecule to N interconnexion pads (surface material science, surface atomic wire fabrication, metallurgy of mesa metallic nano-island)
- Nano-communication (classical & quantum information exchange with and within a molecule)
- Chemistry (large scale molecules, specific functional groups, etc.)
- "Monumentalisation" (architecture, classical and quantum design)
- Roadmapping: opportunities, risks and barriers
The WG will be based on activities like seminars during the FET-Cluster workshops, tutorials on a specific topic and the building of roadmaps/focused reports in picotechnology for the computer industry.
Working group activities will therefore support the consolidation of research communities, their visibility, the coordination of research agendas, the mapping and benchmarking of research at European level, and the identification of drivers to assess research in nano-scale ICT devices and systems.